Lionel Messi’s penalty was saved as Iceland put up a great defensive performance to earn a 1-1 draw against Argentina in Group D of the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
The South Americans Argentina opened scoring in the 19th minute through striker Sergio Aguero, but Iceland responded in less than five minutes after through forward Alfred Finnbogason.
Argentina had a glorious chance to take the lead from the penalty spot in the second-half, and many watching expected superstar Messi to score, but Messi could only watch as Iceland goalkeeper Hannes Thor Halldorsson saved his spot-kick.
Hallsorsson went on to make a string of important saves as his side held on for a crucial draw in a game many expected Argentina to win.
The 2018 FIFA World Cup has already served some mouth-watering ties and unexpected results.
- Man City Provides Injury Update Ahead Of Carabao Cup Final Vs Chelsea
- Klopp Hails Return Of Van Dijk As Liverpool Arrive Training Ahead Of Man United Clash
- Adam Lallana Could Leave Liverpool If This £90million Man Is Signed
- Chelsea FC, Liverpool FC Eye Lilian Thuram’s Teenage Son Khephren
- Court Orders Former Super Eagles Star Austin Okocha’s Arrest
- CONFIRMED: Suarez Starts in Arsenal 4-3-3 Line-Up For BATE
- Zinedine Zidane Rejects Possibility Of Replacing Maurizio Sarri
- Jordan Henderson Reveals Jurgen Klopp’s Plan For Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
- Arsenal v Bate Borisov: Emery Confirms Return Of Two Players For Clash
- Manchester United v Liverpool: Dejan Lovren To Miss Clash