Leading 4-0 from the first leg, City extended their lead through Gabriel Jesus’ early goal. But Basel showed resilient spirit & fought back after Mohamed Elyounoussi had levelled, Michael Lang struck a second-half winner to give the Swiss side a celebrated, although insignificant, 2-1 victory.
Guardiola was delighted to see City into the last 8 for the first time during his tenure, but agreed that their performance on the night wasn’t good enough.
“We are happy to be in the quarter finals, we are so happy for that,” the Spaniard said to CityTV. “Second half we didn’t attack & forgot to even pass the ball […] the second half was really really poor.”
Ilkay Gundogan & Bernardo Silva were the only ones who retained their places from the first leg as Guardiola made wholesale changes.
“It’s important Gabriel Jesus played for 90 minutes,” Guardiola stated. “When you are out for a long time you need to find the rhythm to come back. His goal will give him confidence.
“Phil Foden was good & in the second he was perhaps the only one who tried to be aggressive. It’s good for the rhythm of the future.”
City will lock horns in the quarter-finals with Liverpool, Real Madrid & Juventus, with 4 more second-legs to come next week.
“The difference in the quarter finals, in that level all the teams will be so, so tough & demanding,” Guardiola further said. “We will try to be ready & to come back because we did it in the recent games.”
- CONFIRMED: Suarez Starts in Arsenal 4-3-3 Line-Up For BATE
- Zinedine Zidane Rejects Possibility Of Replacing Maurizio Sarri
- Jordan Henderson Reveals Jurgen Klopp’s Plan For Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
- Arsenal v Bate Borisov: Emery Confirms Return Of Two Players For Clash
- Manchester United v Liverpool: Dejan Lovren To Miss Clash
- Kalidou Koulibaly Agent Provides Man Utd Transfer Update On Defender
- Chelsea Trio To Miss Malmo Europa League Clash Tonight
- Liverpool Agree Deal With Paul Glatzel
- Champions League 2018-19: Man City Lineup V Schalke
- Unai Emery Explains What Mesut Ozil Arsenal Future Depends On