Germany’s Miroslav Klose has been named new coach of the Bayern Munich U17s, the club has confirmed.
Germany’s all-time leading goalscorer, who is at present part of Joachim Löw’s coaching team with Germany, will take over from current U17s boss Holger Seitz after the 2018 World Cup. He has signed a two-year contract through to summer 2020.
“I’m really looking forward to the role at Bayern’s academy and I’ll give everything I can to justify the faith placed into me to lead the development of these young players,” 39-year-old Klose said.
After spells with Kaiserslautern as well as Werder Bremen, Klose played for Bayern between 2007 and 2011. He won a Bundesliga and DFB Cup double in 2007/08 and 2009/10, but – in spite of a Bundesliga career that yielded 121 goals in 307 appearances – is debatably best known for his exploits on the international stage.
The Poland-born striker netted 71 goals in 137 games for Germany and is the record scorer at World Cup finals with 16 goals in over four tournaments. He retired from international football after winning the 2014 World Cup but kept playing at club level with Serie A side Lazio for a further two years.
Klose is the most recent in a growing line of ex-players to return to Bayern in a senior capacity, as well as current sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic, incoming head coach Niko Kovac, CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, president Uli Hoeness and honorary president Franz Beckenbauer all, represented the club at some stage during their playing careers.
“It’s our philosophy to tie successful and deserving players to the club,” Salihamidzic said. “I’m very happy that Miro Klose wants to pass on some of his immense and invaluable experience to our young talent and, in turn, we’ll help further his coaching career.”
- Klopp Hails Return Of Van Dijk As Liverpool Arrive Training Ahead Of Man United Clash
- Adam Lallana Could Leave Liverpool If This £90million Man Is Signed
- Chelsea FC, Liverpool FC Eye Lilian Thuram’s Teenage Son Khephren
- Court Orders Former Super Eagles Star Austin Okocha’s Arrest
- CONFIRMED: Suarez Starts in Arsenal 4-3-3 Line-Up For BATE
- Zinedine Zidane Rejects Possibility Of Replacing Maurizio Sarri
- Jordan Henderson Reveals Jurgen Klopp’s Plan For Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
- Arsenal v Bate Borisov: Emery Confirms Return Of Two Players For Clash
- Manchester United v Liverpool: Dejan Lovren To Miss Clash
- Kalidou Koulibaly Agent Provides Man Utd Transfer Update On Defender