There were confirmations on Wednesday that Bayern Munich have agreed to sign Stuttgart defender Benjamin Pavard for a reported £31.4m fee on a five-year deal in the summer, and Arsenal fans quickly took to Twitter to react.
Pavard, who can play as a centre-back or a right-back, became famous during the Russia 2018 World Cup as he starred in the latter position for champions France, even scoring the goal of the tournament against Argentina in the round of 16.
The versatile 22-year-old had been impressing for Stuttgart both prior to the competition and again during the current campaign, and it is indeed no surprise that Bayern have moved to snap up top talent from a fellow German top-flight outfit – something that has become a common episode.
— FC Bayern München (@FCBayern) January 9, 2019
Meanwhile, the Gunners don’t look to have the greatest defensive options right now with big question marks over the likes of Shkodran Mustafi and Stephan Lichtsteiner – including captain Laurent Koscielny getting no younger – and the Frenchman for sure would have been a great option for little over £30m.
— Transfer News Live (@DeadlineDayLive) January 9, 2019
Arsenal fans went on Twitter to give their thoughts on the deal, and while one said “Pavard would have been a dream signing for Arsenal”, another said they “just wish Arsenal had signed him”.
See a selection of the Twitter reaction below…
Bayern out there signing Pavard and Arsenal here sweating on Shkodran Mustafi’s fitness
— Hassan Rimmani (@hassanrimmani) January 9, 2019
Pavard is a great signing for Munich. Wouldn’t have minded Arsenal going for him.
— MJL (@mjl1988) January 9, 2019
Benjamin Pavard would have been a dream signing for Arsenal, but I’m surprised it’s taken until now for a big club to snap him up. Brilliant player https://t.co/AwXAZeFnaj
— Dylan Walsh (@dylanwalsh_) January 9, 2019
— Ashley (@AClarredge) January 9, 2019
35 mil euros for Pavard ffs. Would take him at Arsenal
— AnnounceMbappe (@vivastiann) January 9, 2019
So arsenal didn’t see pavard to sign all this time ??? https://t.co/erQYcjobYd
— – Uncle Drew (@Andy_josbazz) January 9, 2019
- Rohr to Retain Alex Iwobi As Super Eagles Playmaker For 2019 AFCON
- Arsenal Injury, Suspension List, Team News Ahead Of Manchester United Clash
- Tottenham To Sign Free Agent Former Man United Striker To REPLACE Harry Kane
- Court Stops Arrest Warrant Against Amaju Pinnick, Four Others
- Rohr to Return Lokosa to Super Eagles For AFCON 2019 After Esperance FC Move
- Super Eagles Head Coach Gernot Rohr Rules Bench Warmers Out of 2019 AFCON
- Kanu Nwankwo’s Medal Were Not Stolen From His Hardley Apartment – AMCON
- Solskjaer Reportedly Targets Exciting Attacker Deal, Man Utd Fans Hope He Isn’t Another Depay
- Why Liverpool Must Be Mindful Of Crystal Palace Peril In Anfield Clash
- Barcelona set price for Philippe Coutinho to Man Utd transfer & it’s lower than expected