Cameroon has vowed to complete all the infrastructure planned for the 2019 African Cup of Nations ‘on time’, regardless of Friday’s withdrawal of hosting rights by CAF.

The continent’s football governing body decided on Friday to withdraw the organisation of the CAN-2019 in Cameroon, after a fresh security inspection and a visit to the country’s infrastructure, stadiums and accommodation.

The statement said Cameroon had noted with dismay the resolve of the CAF Executive Committee”, referring to it as ‘flagrant injustice’.

Cameroon has for more than a year accused CAF of planning to take the tournament away from them in favour of Morocco.

CAF strongly denied these claims and its boss Ahmad Ahmad told Cameroon’s president Paul Biya in October: “CAF has no Plan B, nor have we ever considered taking the Nations Cup away from Cameroon.”

Last week, Ahmad criticised Cameroon’s failure to regularise the affairs of its football federation, which has been under the control of a normalisation committee for more than a year while it struggles to adopt a fresh constitution and elect a new executive.

You’ll Also Like

GET THE LATEST TRANSFER NEWS, MATCH PREVIEWS AND NEWS DIRECT TO YOUR INBOX!

Invalid email address

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here