Lionel Messi’s dream of ever lifting the World Cup is hanging by a thread after Croatia defeated Argentina by 3-0.
With this result, Croatia has comfortably booked a place in the last 16 with the win in Novgorod on Thursday (NZT Friday), after beating their group D rivals in a patchy, physical encounter.
The loss has left Argentina struggling for competition points after managing only a 1-1 draw in their opening match against debutant Iceland. They got just one point and would now be relying on other results going their way, as well as likely needing to beat the Super Eagles of Nigeria emphatically.
Iceland and Nigeria are going to clash on June 22 with the result of that second-round game likely to be crucial to the outcome of group D.
Should the Eagles lose Friday’s match then a draw between Croatia and Iceland in the final game will see one of the great names of international football dumped out, not considering their result.
It, of course, means that the great Lionel Messi, a ghost-like figure after being let down by his team-mates, is going to end his football career without a World Cup trophy to his CV.
- Kada City Winning Plateau United Was No Fluke – Shola Collins
- Barcelona Fans Vote Striker They Want To Replace Luis Suarez
- Chelsea To Hire Steve Holland As Interim Boss If Maurizio Sarri is Sacked
- Europa League Draw: Arsenal And Chelsea Last 16 Fixtures Out
- Manchester United Vs Man City: Premier League Confirms New Fixture Date
- Liverpool’s Four Premier League Fixtures For April Rescheduled
- Chelsea Transfer Ban: 4 Other Premier League Teams To Face Transfer Ban
- Man City Provides Injury Update Ahead Of Carabao Cup Final Vs Chelsea
- Klopp Hails Return Of Van Dijk As Liverpool Arrive Training Ahead Of Man United Clash
- Adam Lallana Could Leave Liverpool If This £90million Man Is Signed