Uruguay were far from their best all through at the Ekeratinburg Arena and it looked as though a series of wasted chances from record scorer Luis Suarez would prove costly for the Group A favorites.
But, Gimenez’s towering late header – which came just moments after Edinson Cavani had hit the post with a free kick – rescued all three points for the South Americans to take them level with hosts Russia at the top of the standings.
Uruguay could well have felt that it wouldn’t be their day when Cavani’s 88th-minute free-kick crashed back off the post with the keeper beaten, and even more so when the rebound fell to Martin Caceres, whose shot into an open goal was accidentally blocked by his own teammate Carlos Sanchez.
- Kada City Winning Plateau United Was No Fluke – Shola Collins
- Barcelona Fans Vote Striker They Want To Replace Luis Suarez
- Chelsea To Hire Steve Holland As Interim Boss If Maurizio Sarri is Sacked
- Europa League Draw: Arsenal And Chelsea Last 16 Fixtures Out
- Manchester United Vs Man City: Premier League Confirms New Fixture Date
- Liverpool’s Four Premier League Fixtures For April Rescheduled
- Chelsea Transfer Ban: 4 Other Premier League Teams To Face Transfer Ban
- Man City Provides Injury Update Ahead Of Carabao Cup Final Vs Chelsea
- Klopp Hails Return Of Van Dijk As Liverpool Arrive Training Ahead Of Man United Clash
- Adam Lallana Could Leave Liverpool If This £90million Man Is Signed