Diego Costa scored the only goal of the game as Spain narrowly got away with a 1-0 win over Iran in tonight’s 2018 World Cup clash in Kazan.
The win sees Spain join Portugal on four points in Group B, while Iran is third on three points ahead of the final game on June 25.
Spain’s interim coach Fernando Hierro made two changes to the team that started against Portugal last time out, with fit-again Dani Carvajal and Lucas Vazquez coming in for Nacho and Koke.
Iran head coach Carlos Quieroz, on the other hand, made three changes to the team that started the 1-0 win over Morocco. Majid Hosseini, Mehdi Taremi, and Saeid Ezatolahi were all included, while Sardar Azmoun kept his position at the tip of the attack.
Silva had Spain’s best chance of the first period in the closing stages, but the forward saw his attempt deflected wide of the post as Iran’s rear-guard action saw both teams head down the tunnel at 0-0.
La Roja had two opportunities in the early stages of the second half, but Gerard Pique saw his goal-bound effort cleared before Iran goalkeeper Beiranvand kept out a long-range attempt from Busquets.
Taremi headed wide of the post on the hour as Iran looked to hit back, and scored in the 62nd minute courtesy of Ezatolahi, but VAR ruled the midfielder offside.
Hierro’s team had the ball for the majority of the game, and that was also the case in the latter stages as they closed out the match to secure all three points. Spain will finish their group game against Morocco on June 25, while Iran locks horn with Portugal on the same night.
- Kada City Winning Plateau United Was No Fluke – Shola Collins
- Barcelona Fans Vote Striker They Want To Replace Luis Suarez
- Chelsea To Hire Steve Holland As Interim Boss If Maurizio Sarri is Sacked
- Europa League Draw: Arsenal And Chelsea Last 16 Fixtures Out
- Manchester United Vs Man City: Premier League Confirms New Fixture Date
- Liverpool’s Four Premier League Fixtures For April Rescheduled
- Chelsea Transfer Ban: 4 Other Premier League Teams To Face Transfer Ban
- Man City Provides Injury Update Ahead Of Carabao Cup Final Vs Chelsea
- Klopp Hails Return Of Van Dijk As Liverpool Arrive Training Ahead Of Man United Clash
- Adam Lallana Could Leave Liverpool If This £90million Man Is Signed