Liverpool are reportedly going to sign Ajax Amsterdam’s highly-rated Matthijs de Ligt as Virgil Van Dijk partner as concerns grow over Joe Gomez and his ability to remain fit for a full season.
Since joining the Reds, Gomez has been beset by several injuries and so the need to sign Matthijs de Ligt as Virgil Van Dijk Partner.
While Gomez is young enough that he can overcome them and not have his career derailed, there are concerns that it could be something that occurs every season and leaves the club short on quality centre-backs as it has this season.
The Englishman is the best central defender at the club but is falling prey to injury currently.
Liverpool are interested in signing Matthijs de Ligt, as per Sport – via Calciomercato – and while it is believed that Joe Gomez is actually the better player, the Dutchman’s superior track record with injuries makes him the smart option alongside van Dijk.
Michael Edwards would have to pull off yet another masterclass to sign de Ligt as he is up against Man City, Juve and Barca.
According to Paul Joyce, Liverpool boss Jürgen Klopp has no intention of going big this summer and while this stance could change before the summer arrives, this approach leaves signing players like de Ligt to the likes of Barcelona.
- CONFIRMED: Suarez Starts in Arsenal 4-3-3 Line-Up For BATE
- Zinedine Zidane Rejects Possibility Of Replacing Maurizio Sarri
- Jordan Henderson Reveals Jurgen Klopp’s Plan For Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
- Arsenal v Bate Borisov: Emery Confirms Return Of Two Players For Clash
- Manchester United v Liverpool: Dejan Lovren To Miss Clash
- Kalidou Koulibaly Agent Provides Man Utd Transfer Update On Defender
- Chelsea Trio To Miss Malmo Europa League Clash Tonight
- Liverpool Agree Deal With Paul Glatzel
- Champions League 2018-19: Man City Lineup V Schalke
- Unai Emery Explains What Mesut Ozil Arsenal Future Depends On