Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr while speaking at a press conference on Monday afternoon has provided a fresh update on John Mikel Obi, who suffered an injury in the closing minutes of the 2-0 victory over Iceland last Friday.
Rohr revealed that Mikel visited the hospital as soon as the team arrived in Saint Petersburg from their base camp and will be able to play against Argentina if he is permitted by Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir.
Responding to a question from Channel Television’s Austin Okon Akpan, Rohr said: ”Mikel has a fracture of the third metacarpal of the left hand and it’s not a big fracture but he has to play with a cast.
”We arrived yesterday in St Petersburg, he visited the doctor immediately and came back with a protection.
”I think he can play with that, we have to ask the referee to accept, but it is hard plastic so I think it is okay. He is not feeling so much pains, I think he will be ready.”
”The youthfulness in such important games can also be a disadvantage, we saw it in the first two games, we conceded stupid penalties, some fouls because they are so young, I hope we learn from these mistakes.
”The experience of Argentina can be a positive point in such games, each player wants to be in the second round. Against Croatia, someone said they are experienced which is right and we are so young.
”The most important is concentration, discipline, good organization and the players who can make the difference collectively and individually,” added the German.
Argentina have one of the oldest squads in this year’s World Cup with an average age of roughly 30 years, while the Eagles are the youngest with an average age of 25.9 years.
The former Chelsea midfielder participated in the Super Eagles final workout today.
- Shock Name To Replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer At End Of Season
- Super Eagles striker Odion Ighalo Launches £1m Orphanage Home In Lagos
- Esperance of Tunisia Officially Welcome Junior Lokosa
- Trent Alexander-Arnold & Gini Wijnaldum injury updates before Crystal Palace BAD for Liverpool
- Chelsea Great Petr Cech Announces Retirement
- Stamford Bridge stadium Face Closure As UEFA Opens Disciplinary Proceedings For Alleged Racist Chants
- Vandals Attack Former Super Eagles Captain Kanu Nwankwo, Cart Away Medals
- Man City Boss Pep Guardiola Reveals How He Will React If Liverpool Win The Premier League
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Hits At Jose Mourinho, Calls his Man Utd Tactics ‘Stupid’
- 2019 AFCON Trophy: Rohr Begs NFF to Give Him The Right Support To Win