Sky Sports lose La Liga rights to streaming service and so the UK rights to La Liga has been lost to a streaming service owned by Leeds United chairman Andrea Radrizzani.
Sky have broadcast the Spanish top flight for the last 20 years but this weekend’s el Clasico match will be one of the final games aired by the broadcaster.
Radrizzani’s little-known service Eleven Sports has poached the broadcasting rights for the next three seasons with a bid in excess of the £18m-a-season provided by Sky.
Eleven presently operates in some countries as well as the US, where it broadcasts competitions like the NBA G League, the Belgian Pro League and the World Darts Series.
The broadcaster has yet to substantiate how it will show La Liga in the UK, with launching a dedicated channel or an independent streaming service among its options.
“This is an incredibly exciting time for our young and dynamic company and we will announce soon how we will introduce innovative ways for dedicated fans to watch and engage in the live action.
“The way people, especially young people, watch live sport is changing and we always try to reflect that in the ways we make our product available. We are excited about the opportunities we have to do this in the UK and Ireland.
“We have worked very hard to promote the excellence of La Liga in the UK and Ireland and we are confident that Eleven Sports will help us to grow and innovate our brand in the market for years to come,” said CEO Marc Watson.
The move means that as it stands, Sky’s portfolio of non-English football rights will have just the Scottish Premiership, Major League Soccer and the Chinese Super League from next season.
- CONFIRMED: Suarez Starts in Arsenal 4-3-3 Line-Up For BATE
- Zinedine Zidane Rejects Possibility Of Replacing Maurizio Sarri
- Jordan Henderson Reveals Jurgen Klopp’s Plan For Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
- Arsenal v Bate Borisov: Emery Confirms Return Of Two Players For Clash
- Manchester United v Liverpool: Dejan Lovren To Miss Clash
- Kalidou Koulibaly Agent Provides Man Utd Transfer Update On Defender
- Chelsea Trio To Miss Malmo Europa League Clash Tonight
- Liverpool Agree Deal With Paul Glatzel
- Champions League 2018-19: Man City Lineup V Schalke
- Unai Emery Explains What Mesut Ozil Arsenal Future Depends On