A crisis meeting has been held by the Super Eagles in the absence of coach Gernot Rohr on Monday night as the team tries to turn things around their shaky position at the Russia 2018 World Cup ahead of their next match against Iceland on Friday.
The Eagles are in grave danger of an early World Cup exit following their 2-0 defeat to Croatia in Kaliningrad on Saturday in their opening campaign in the tournament. Nigeria must win the game at Volgograd Arena to keep alive their hopes of advancing to the round of sixteen in the championship.
Punch Newspaper reports that the players were not happy with Rohr’s team approach to the encounter in which China-based forward Odion Ighalo was isolated, Victor Moses rendered a weak showing and Alex Iwobi was nowhere to be found in that game until he was substituted.
Camp sources said on Tuesday that the enraged players purportedly held a meeting where they resolved to give their all against the daring Nordic side who reduce Argentina superstar Lionel Messi to nothing in their 1-1 draw at the Spartak Stadium in Moscow on Saturday.
“The players reviewed their performances in the match against Croatia and resolved to hold talks with the coach before the game,” the source said.
The source also alleges that captain Mikel Obi has come under pressure from his teammates to plead with Rohr to feature players in their natural positions and also to play two strikers up front.
Also, Israel-based John Ogu may possibly land a starting role with Leicester City midfielder Wilfred Ndidi staying on the bench.
It was also gathered that the former Gabon manager wants players who can match the aggressive and physical Iceland side, with players of an average 1.90m in height.
Also, Rohr possibly will retain striker Odion Ighalo in his line-up and hand Ahmed Musa a starting role as he hopes to break down Iceland’s defense.
- Kada City Winning Plateau United Was No Fluke – Shola Collins
- Barcelona Fans Vote Striker They Want To Replace Luis Suarez
- Chelsea To Hire Steve Holland As Interim Boss If Maurizio Sarri is Sacked
- Europa League Draw: Arsenal And Chelsea Last 16 Fixtures Out
- Manchester United Vs Man City: Premier League Confirms New Fixture Date
- Liverpool’s Four Premier League Fixtures For April Rescheduled
- Chelsea Transfer Ban: 4 Other Premier League Teams To Face Transfer Ban
- Man City Provides Injury Update Ahead Of Carabao Cup Final Vs Chelsea
- Klopp Hails Return Of Van Dijk As Liverpool Arrive Training Ahead Of Man United Clash
- Adam Lallana Could Leave Liverpool If This £90million Man Is Signed