Two goals from Edinson Cavani sank Portugal and Cristiano Ronaldo’s hopes of World Cup success as they lost 2-1 in Sochi.
Cavani scored once in each half as the Uruguayans prevailed in the second round game to set up a quarter-final date with France on Friday at the Nizhny Novgorod Stadium.
The Paris Saint-Germain forward had leaped beautifully to get on the end of Luis Suarez’s cross in the seventh minute to give Uruguay the lead.
Portugal struggled for a response but did level 10 minutes into the second half as Pepe scored from a header.
But Cavani scored from the edge of the area in the 62nd minute for what proved to the decisive goal of the match.
It is not all good news for Cavani, however, as he limped off injured before the end and he might not be available for the France match.
But for Portugal and Ronaldo the 2018 World Cup is over and they will depart Russia on Sunday to return home.
- Shock Name To Replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer At End Of Season
- Super Eagles striker Odion Ighalo Launches £1m Orphanage Home In Lagos
- Esperance of Tunisia Officially Welcome Junior Lokosa
- Trent Alexander-Arnold & Gini Wijnaldum injury updates before Crystal Palace BAD for Liverpool
- Chelsea Great Petr Cech Announces Retirement
- Stamford Bridge stadium Face Closure As UEFA Opens Disciplinary Proceedings For Alleged Racist Chants
- Vandals Attack Former Super Eagles Captain Kanu Nwankwo, Cart Away Medals
- Man City Boss Pep Guardiola Reveals How He Will React If Liverpool Win The Premier League
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Hits At Jose Mourinho, Calls his Man Utd Tactics ‘Stupid’
- 2019 AFCON Trophy: Rohr Begs NFF to Give Him The Right Support To Win