Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani scored a goal apiece as Uruguay went on to beat Host nation Russia 3-0 on Monday, finishing undefeated in group games and handing the host nation its first loss of the World Cup, Sportsnet.ca reports.
Both nations were already assured of spots in the round of 16, but Uruguay’s victory put them at the top of Group A and looking toward a match in Sochi on Saturday against whoever becomes the second-place finisher from Group B.
Uruguay, which also benefited from an own-goal in the first half, had its third straight shutout of the championship after successive 1-0 wins over Egypt and Saudi Arabia.
By advancing to the knock out round with victories over Saudi Arabia and Egypt, Russia secured its best World Cup showing in the post-Soviet era.
- Kada City Winning Plateau United Was No Fluke – Shola Collins
- Barcelona Fans Vote Striker They Want To Replace Luis Suarez
- Chelsea To Hire Steve Holland As Interim Boss If Maurizio Sarri is Sacked
- Europa League Draw: Arsenal And Chelsea Last 16 Fixtures Out
- Manchester United Vs Man City: Premier League Confirms New Fixture Date
- Liverpool’s Four Premier League Fixtures For April Rescheduled
- Chelsea Transfer Ban: 4 Other Premier League Teams To Face Transfer Ban
- Man City Provides Injury Update Ahead Of Carabao Cup Final Vs Chelsea
- Klopp Hails Return Of Van Dijk As Liverpool Arrive Training Ahead Of Man United Clash
- Adam Lallana Could Leave Liverpool If This £90million Man Is Signed